2018 Utility Box Beautification Project
As part of the Town of Sidney’s utility box beautification project, the Town occasionally issues a Call to Artists requesting submissions to be used in wrapping a selection of utility boxes. Since 2006 the Town of Sidney has wrapped 28 utility boxes which have greatly enhanced the look of our streets as a result.
The beautification effort has prioritized the wrapping of utility boxes located in Downtown Sidney as well as several pump station locations around town. In addition to assisting beautification efforts, the program seeks to promote and celebrate established and emerging artists from the Saanich Peninsula.
Call to Artists
The Town of Sidney invites all artists to submit copies of their original art which best symbolize the spirit of Sidney. Chosen work, in whole or in part, will be reproduced on a graffiti-resistant surface to beautify existing utility boxes in and around Sidney’s downtown area.
The 2018 Beautification Project has identified the following boxes as candidates for beautification:
- 1. Utility box on the Beacon Avenue frontage of Mariner Village Mall
- 2. Utility box on Seventh Street near Beacon Avenue
- 3. Utility box at 9818 Third Street
- 4. Utility box at the northwest corner of Third Street and Beacon Avenue
- 5. Pump Station at Ocean Avenue near Fifth Street
- 6. Pump Station at 9344 Lochside Drive
In addition to a five hundred dollar ($500.00) stipend, artists will receive public recognition via:
- Their name, personal website and the title of the work on the utility box.
- An article published in the Winter 2019 edition of Sidney’s municipal newsletter, Town Talk. Town Talk is a well-read publication that is distributed to over 6,000 residences, organizations and businesses around Sidney as well as being available electronically on the town’s website.
- A Press Release.
Submission DeadlineTuesday, November 6, 2018.
To make a submission, please email Yazmin Hernandez, Municipal Planner, at email@example.com.
Please include the following with your submission:
- No more than 4 images of recent work. Images must be JPEGS and no larger than 1.5 MB each.
- A list of works submitted including name, title, dimensions, and year.
- Artist’s contact information.
- Artist's statement that provides details of how the submission is in keeping with the selection criteria.
- Saanich Peninsula artists will be given preference.
- Youth (under 30 years of age) and First Nations art is encouraged.
- The art enhances the current built form, landscaping and/or other physical features near the box location.
- The art invites interaction.
- The art recognizes the historical or current significance of the box’s location.
- The art symbolizes the spirit of Sidney.
- The art adds to the diversity of themes, styles, and perspectives displayed on existing wrapped boxes.
- The art meets the Town of Sidney's Public Art Guidelines.