Active Transportation Plan
The Town of Sidney has launched its Active Transportation Network Plan process!
The plan will provide guidance to develop a safe, accessible, sustainable, equitable, and efficient active transportation network by outlining strategies, and recommending infrastructure, policies, and programs to help enable active transportation as preferred modes of transportation throughout the community.
Active transportation has many advantages: it's good for your health and the environment, it is more affordable than driving a vehicle, and it can be a social experience that helps people in the community connect. It can take many forms and is continually evolving as new technologies emerge. It includes:
- Walking (including people walking dogs, people jogging, and people using mobility devices such as wheelchairs, walkers, and strollers)
- Cycling (including the use of pedal assist e-bikes, bicycle trailers, etc.)
- Rolling (skateboarding, in-line skating)
- Other emerging modes as technology changes and advances
The purpose of the Town of Sidney’s Active Transportation Plan is to ensure safe and accessible transportation options are available for all community members regardless of age and ability, to improve safety and reduce GHG emissions within our community. This work will guide the development of the Town’s active transportation network over the next 10 to 20 years.
The goal is to create a practical plan that reflects the Town’s available resources, best practices, and community priorities.
To ensure the Plan reflects the community’s priorities, we want to hear from you. Please take the Active Transportation Plan Survey, today!
The purpose of the survey is to better understand how community members currently move around and what improvements would encourage more active transportation. We are also eager to learn how the region's active transportation network could become more accessible.
The survey will take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete.
The project’s online survey is currently live and will be until June 13, 2022.
If you prefer to use a paper survey, please visit Sidney’s Town Hall. We can print a paper copy for you or assist you in completing the survey on a computer. Please share this survey with others – we want to hear from you, your family, friends, and neighbours.
This project is running from from March 2022 – January 2023. The first round of engagement will occur throughout May to mid-June 2022, with the second round occurring in November and December 2022.
- A regionally connected, vibrant downtown;
- Connected, accessible and livable neighborhoods that meet the needs of the whole community;
- A diverse and balanced community supporting a thriving local economy; and
- A healthy resilient community that takes action to address climate change.
The updated Climate Action Plan also identifies improving accessibility and convenience of active transportation infrastructure on our streets and sidewalks. It includes eight actions related to transportation and mobility, including the need to develop this Active Transportation Plan.
- Working Paper - Active Transportation in Sidney
- Capital Regional District, Regional Pedestrian and Cycling Master Plan
- North Saanich Active Transportation Plan
- Central Saanich Active Transportation Plan
We will update this project page with supporting documents as we move through the process. Please check back for updates. You can expect to see:
- “What We Heard” Engagement Summary (Summer, 2022)
- DRAFT Active Transportation Network Plan (Fall, 2022)
Get in Touch
If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to:
Senior Engineering Technologist
Town of Sidney