Beacon Wharf Replacement
The Town is considering replacement options for Beacon Wharf, which is estimated to have a remaining life of less than 10 years.
Beacon Wharf replacement options for consideration were presented to Council during the July 12, 2021 Committee of the Whole meeting.
- Watch the Beacon Wharf presentations from the July 12, 2021 Committee of the Whole meeting
- Read the Final Report on Recommended Options for Consideration
Public Engagement Opportunities
Determining the future of Beacon Wharf is an important decision and will require significant feedback from the community. We need to hear from you!
Take the Survey!
Please review the Beacon Wharf Special Edition of Town Talk, which is dedicated entirely to the Beacon Wharf Replacement project, and then complete the Beacon Wharf Replacement Survey.
The survey will be open from September 9 - October 15, 2021
We kindly ask and strongly encourage you to please review the special edition of Town Talk before completing the survey.
Engagement Sessions at Beacon Park
Attend an engagement session at Beacon Park for an opportunity to meet with members of Sidney Council, Beacon Wharf Select Committee, and Town staff to discuss the future of the wharf.
Tuesday, September 21, 2021* - 3:00 pm to 5:30 pm
Wednesday, September 29, 2021* - 11:00 am to 2:00 pm
*engagement schedule is dependent on public health guidelines and weather.
Beacon Wharf is a timber structure which has been in place for over 50 years. The Town of Sidney took ownership of Beacon Wharf in 2006 after it was divested by the Federal Government. The infrastructure is aging and, like all waterfront marine structures, requires frequent inspection and maintenance. The wharf has required a number of repairs in recent years in order to remain serviceable and is believed to have a remaining life of 7 to 8 more years.
- c. 1960: Current version of Beacon Wharf built
- 2006: Town of Sidney assumes ownership of Beacon Wharf
- 2010: Engineering condition assessment undertaken and repairs are recommended
- 2012: Recommended repairs completed
- 2018: Engineering inspection undertaken:
- Recommends that the Town conduct 3 surveys (Depth, Geotechnical, Environmental)
- Recommends repairs
- 2020: Beacon Wharf Surveys & Feasibility Study presented to Council
- 2020: Recommended repairs completed – expected to extend Wharf life for 7 – 8 more years
Beacon Wharf Select Committee
In 2020, Council established the Beacon Wharf Select Committee to review options for replacing, or removing and not replacing, Beacon Wharf. The Committee was tasked with reviewing the issues and developing an action plan for feasible options based on the results of the review. The Committee completed its review and submitted a final report to Council at the July 12, 2021 Committee of the Whole meeting.
For more information and additional background materials, visit the Beacon Wharf Select Committee page.
- Staff Report on Beacon Wharf Surveys & Feasibility Study
Staff report that presents the Beacon Wharf Surveys and Feasibility Study and considers future options for the wharf.
- Beacon Wharf Surveys & Feasibility Study
Depth, geotechnical and environment surveys were combined with a feasibility study to consider several new wharf options.
- Beacon Wharf Floating Replacement Assessment
The report includes information on an existing pontoon, a high level concept design of the pontoon as a wharf replacement, a high level cost estimate, and life cycle analyses for several potential wharf replacement options.
- Select Committee's Final Report on Recommended Options for Consideration
The Beacon Wharf Select Committee was tasked with reviewing options for replacing - or removing and not replacing - Beacon Wharf. Their final report makes a recommendation to Council on the short-listed options for replacement of Beacon Wharf. It will be presented to the Committee of the Whole on July 12, 2021.