Downtown Employee Parking Lot
The Town of Sidney is constructing a large, new parking lot near the corner of Bevan Avenue and Seventh Street, on lands between the Mary Winspear Centre and the new Community Safety Building (CSB). The land is being leased from the Memorial Park Society, which will benefit the Winspear Centre by allowing them to establish a capital replacement fund.
The primary purposes of the parking lot are:
- Free, all-day parking for employees and employers of businesses in the downtown (The intention is to free up parking spaces in the downtown core by providing an alternative to time-limited spots in the core)
- Parking for customers and visitors to the downtown
- Overflow event parking for Mary Winspear Centre (primarily in the evenings)
Long-term (i.e. multi-day) parking will not be allowed in this lot. It is not intended for people using the airport or ferries.
The Town will be working with the Sidney Business Improvement Area and the Economic Development Commission to market the lot for downtown employee use. The intention is to educate the users on the benefits of freeing up valuable space in the downtown core for business customers. That, along with the availability of free, all-day parking is expected to relieve some of the pressure on the downtown core during the busier periods.
There will be a total of 167 parking spots dedicated to public parking, along with a slight increase in the number of spaces dedicated to Mary Winspear. The public parking will be on both sides of the CSB access road, which will bisect the parking area.
- Project safety fencing has already been installed.
- Site preparation will begin in late August 2018.
- Final completion of both sides of the public lot is expected by mid-February 2019, at the latest.
- Every effort will be made to complete at least one side by the end of 2018.
(Click on image to enlarge)