Official Community Plan Review
To receive automatic email notifications when this web page is updated, subscribe here.
One of Council's primary strategic priorities for this term is a review and update of the Town of Sidney's Official Community Plan (OCP). An OCP is a Town bylaw that sets out the broad objectives and policies that guide decisions on planning, land use and provision of municipal services in the community. It also establishes a degree of certainty about the location and nature of community change to residents and landowners while providing a framework for guiding and managing future development and growth.
For additional background information on this project, please see the "Additional Resources" section at the bottom of this page.
Official Community Plan Review Advisory Committee
As part of the OCP Review process, Mayor and Council are establishing an Advisory Committee, which will provide general guidance and advice to the Town during the project. The Committee will assist in the project by:
- Considering new policy directions;
- Reviewing draft sections of the plan;
- Acting as informal ambassadors with the public by encouraging community participation and engagement with the project;
- Providing input into the final version of the OCP document.
It's expected that approximately 5-10 meetings of the Committee will be held throughout 2020 and 2021.
Council is seeking citizens with a significant connection to Sidney, and applicants will be selected based on their knowledge and understanding of the Town as a whole. Citizens interested in being considered are requested to complete an application form and submit it to the Administration Department by 4:00 pm on Tuesday, February 18, 2020.
- Advisory Committee Application Form
- Advisory Committee Terms of Reference
- Deadline: 4:00 pm on Tuesday, February 18, 2020
- Submit in person at Town Hall or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Current Official Community Plan
Sidney's current OCP was adopted by Council on May 14, 2007, and includes the Downtown/Downtown Waterfront Local Area Plan (LAP) and the West Side Local Area Plan (WSLAP).
- Proposed Approach to the OCP Review Staff Report (December 2019)
This Staff Report from December 2019 provides an overview of the proposed approach to the OCP Review project, its objectives, and process.
- Completed Housing Needs Assessment
Provincial legislation requires municipalities to undertake Housing Needs Assessments (HNA) in advance of the development of a new Official Community Plan. Staff focused their efforts during 2019 on completing the HNA; it was successfully completed in October 2019.
- OCP Review Memorandum (January 2019)
This Staff Memorandum from January 2019 contains an overview of the legislative requirements for OCPs, potential Town objectives, and more.