Sidney's Single-Use Plastics Bylaw
On May 24, 2022, Council approved the Single Use Plastics Bylaw No. 2231, which came into effect January 1, 2023.
If you have a question, review our FAQs. You can also contact Town staff at 250-656-4502 or email email@example.com.
This bylaw will prohibit the distribution and sale of the following single use plastic items:
- Plastic checkout bags
- Foam containers
- Plastic drinking straws
- Plastic stir sticks
- Plastic utensils
For the definitions of these items and further detail, please see the bylaw.
Plastic Bag Alternatives
Instead of single use plastic bags, the following may be provided:
- Paper checkout bags (must charge a fee of at least $0.25)
- Reusable checkout bags (must charge a fee of at least $2)
- A plastic bag has been returned to the business for the purpose of re-use
Some key exemptions include:
- Hospitals or licensed community care facilities
- Provision of plastic drinking straw to someone with a disability
Fines will range from $100 - $10,000 for every instance an offence occurs.
Downloadable Resources for Businesses
Posters and till cards are available for businesses to help share information about the bylaw with customers. Click on the images below to open a printable PDF version of each resource.
Haven't used a till card before? These can be cut out and folded to stand up on a cash register or counter. They can also be cut out individually and taped up in a visible location.