Apply for a Business Licence
New for 2023:
- After being waived for two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, fees for new Business Licences have been reinstated for the 2023 calendar year. However, this is now a "one-time" fee, and renewals in subsequent years are free, provided you submit a renewal form and keep your business information current.
- Apply for your business licence online using the eApply portal.
Welcome to Sidney!
Obtaining a Business Licence is generally a quick and easy process. The timing depends on the complexity of your application. Please review the Setting Up Shop page before proceeding.
The Town's Business Licence Bylaw requires that all businesses operating within the Town hold a valid Business Licence, either from the Town of Sidney, an Intermunicipal Business Licence issued from another municipality in Greater Victoria, or an Intercommunity Business Licence issued by a participating municipality on Southern Vancouver Island.
New businesses setting up their first licence with the Town can follow the process outlined below.
Get started with your Business Licence application:
- Apply for a Standard Business Licence online using the eApply portal
(If you require a Vancouver Island Intercommunity Business Licence, please go here.)
- Or, complete and submit a Business Licence Application Form
Once your application is submitted and payment is received, Town staff will contact you to continue your application process. This includes:
- Completing the required Inspections
- Paying your Licence fee
- Obtaining Island Health approval, if required
- Submitting Floor Plans, if required
- Providing additional information, as required
As some of these items include other agencies, a list of contacts commonly requested by business licence applicants can be found below.
Your completed Business Licence Application Form can be:
- Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dropped off in person or mailed to the Town's Development Services Department at 2440 Sidney Ave, Sidney, BC, V8L 1Y7.
- Faxed to 250-655-4508
- You may also wish to use the Province of BC's One Stop Business Registry. Once you complete the registration process through One Stop, a completed Business Licence application will be emailed to the Town.
Business Licence fees for applications can be paid in person at the Town Hall or online through the Town's MyCity payment portal.
Business Continuity Planning
Is your business prepared to continue in the event of an emergency or disaster? Business continuity planning is essential for the survival of a business following a disaster. Visit our Business Continuity Planning page to learn more and to access our Business Continuity Planning Template.