Liquor and Cannabis Licensing
This page contains information on the liquor and cannabis licence application processes as well as active application information.
Active Liquor Licence Applications
- Liquor Licence Lounge Area Endorsement Application: 9835 Third Street - Small Gods Brewing Co.
- Staff Report considered at the July 19, 2021 Council meeting
- Notice of New Liquor Licence Application
- Staff Report considered at the August 16, 2021 Council meeting
- Notice of New Liquor Licence Application (due to a Canada Post distribution error, this notice was reissued)
- Staff Report to be considered at the September 13, 2021 Council meeting
Active Cannabis Licence Applications
- No current active cannabis licence applications
Completed Liquor and Cannabis Applications
Liquor Licensing in Sidney
The Town of Sidney works with the Provincial Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB) to manage the issuance and amendment of liquor licences in the community. This happens through an established process that includes staff and Council review, public consultation, and formal comment to the LCRB with recommendations or conditions regarding the licence. This process is outlined in the Town's Liquor & Cannabis Licensing Policy.
Cannabis Licensing in Sidney
On August 12, 2019, Council adopted Bylaw No. 2174, a Zoning Bylaw amendment to allow cannabis retail in certain parts of the C1 (Downtown Commercial) zone in Sidney. Bylaw No. 2174 also allows the manufacturing and processing of cannabis products in the M1 (Industrial) zone in Sidney Business Park. While Bylaw No. 2174 does allow the home cultivation of up to four (4) cannabis plants for personal use, the commercial cultivation of cannabis (both recreational and medical) in Sidney is not permitted.
Bylaw No. 2174 was accompanied by the Cannabis and Liquor Licensing Fee Bylaw No. 2175, which imposes fees for applications referred to the Town of Sidney by the LCRB. Council also adopted the Liquor and Cannabis Licensing Policy, which sets requirements and guides the consideration of licence applications in Sidney.
Businesses wanting to open a cannabis retail location in Sidney should first contact the LCRB to discuss their application. Consideration by the Town of Sidney begins following a referral from the LCRB to the Town. Following a referral, Town staff would contact the applicant to discuss next steps for the application.
- Completed Liquor & Cannabis Applications
- Bylaw No. 2174 - Zoning Bylaw Amendment
- Zoning Bylaw No. 2015
- Cannabis Retail Area Map
- Liquor & Cannabis Licensing Policy
- Cannabis and Liquor Licensing Fee Bylaw No. 2175
Related Staff Reports
For more information, please contact: