Liquor and Cannabis Licensing
Liquor Licensing in Sidney
The Town of Sidney works with the Provincial Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB) to manage the issuance and amendment of liquor licences in the community. This happens through an established process that includes staff and Council review, public consultation, and formal comment to the LCRB with recommendations or conditions regarding the licence. This process is outlined in the Town's Liquor & Cannabis Licensing Policy.
Active Liquor Licence Applications
- There are no active liquor licence applications at this time.
Cannabis Licensing in Sidney
On August 12, 2019, Council adopted Bylaw No. 2174, a Zoning Bylaw amendment to allow cannabis retail in certain parts of the C1 (Downtown Commercial) zone in Sidney. Bylaw No. 2174 also allows the manufacturing and processing of cannabis products in the M1 (Industrial) zone in Sidney Business Park. While Bylaw No. 2174 does allow the home cultivation of up to four (4) cannabis plants for personal use, the commercial cultivation of cannabis (both recreational and medical) in Sidney is not permitted.
Bylaw No. 2174 was accompanied by the Cannabis and Liquor Licensing Fee Bylaw No. 2175, which imposes fees for applications referred to the Town of Sidney by the LCRB. Council also adopted the Liquor and Cannabis Licensing Policy, which sets requirements and guides the consideration of licence applications in Sidney.
Businesses wanting to open a cannabis retail location in Sidney should first contact the LCRB to discuss their application. Consideration by the Town of Sidney begins following a referral from the LCRB to the Town. Following a referral, Town staff would contact the applicant to discuss next steps for the application.
Active Cannabis Licence Applications
- Cannabis Retail Store Licence Referral - 2410 Beacon Avenue
- Staff Report (to be considered at the October 22, 2019 Committee of the Whole meeting)
- Additional Application Information
- Bylaw No. 2174 - Zoning Bylaw Amendment
- Zoning Bylaw No. 2015
- Cannabis Retail Area Map
- Liquor & Cannabis Licensing Policy
- Cannabis and Liquor Licensing Fee Bylaw No. 2175
- July 3, 2019 Staff Report to Council
- May 28, 2019 Staff Report to Committee of the Whole
For more information, please contact: