Saanich Peninsula, BC.;
The Annual Peninsula Firefighters Christmas Food Drive is returning on Saturday, December 10th to support community members who rely on the Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank to supplement their food needs.
This year’s Christmas Food Drive will involve a blend of traditional neighbourhood drive throughs, along with drop off stations set up at local fire halls.
The pressures of inflation have been felt at the Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank. While 230 families requested Christmas Hampers from the food bank in 2021, there have been 380 Christmas Hamper requests this year.
“We are seeing a lot of senior singles lately,” said Bev Elder, Executive Director of the Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank. “Someone loses their spouse and then a pension disappears. Suddenly, they can no longer pay their bills and buy food.”
Lieutenant Rick Toogood of Sidney Fire Rescue has been helping coordinate the Peninsula Firefighters Christmas Food Drive for over 10 years.
“This is one of those annual holiday events that really helps adults and kids tap into the spirit of giving,” said Toogood. “We are helping our neighbours with their next meal. Even if we don’t have a lot to spare ourselves, a large number of small donations can make a huge impact.”
“This food drive is a great way for all the volunteer firefighters associations from across the Peninsula to come together and make a tangible difference in the lives of our neighbours,” says Nathaniel Wynans of the Central Saanich Volunteer Firefighters Association. “We are very excited to be back in full force this year after being restricted by COVID in 2020 and 2021.”
Non-perishable food items and cash donations are gratefully accepted. The Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank can turn every dollar donated into $3 worth of food. Charitable receipts can be issued for donations over $25.
Below are the donation opportunities:
- Neighbourhood Drive Through of neighbourhoods north of Beacon Avenue. Dec 10h, 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm.
- Drop offs can be made at the Sidney Community Safety Building until December 10th from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday.
- Drive through donation in the back parking lot of the Community Safety Building can be made on December 10th from 1:00 pm - 8:00 pm.
- Neighbourhood Drive Throughs in Brentwood, Tanner Ridge and Saanichton:
December 10th, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm.
- Drop offs can be made at the Central Saanich Fire Station #1 and Central Saanich Municipal Hall: Dec. 5th – Dec. 9th from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
- Neighbourhood Drive Through Dean Park, Canora Mews, and Eaglehurst area: Dec. 10th, 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm.
- Drop offs can be made at the North Saanich Wain Road Fire Hall: Until Dec 9th, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
To participate in a neighbourhood drive through on December 10th, bring your donation to a firefighter when they pass by your home, or leave a bag of donated items on your door step or curbside to be collected.
To find a list of the items most in need, check out ‘12 Days of Christmas Giving’ on the Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank website.
Note: It is important to check that any donated goods will not expire within the next 6 months.
Sidney Fire Department
North Saanich Fire Department
Central Saanich Fire Department
Central Saanich Fire Department