Saanich Peninsula, BC.;
The annual Peninsula Firefighters Christmas Food Drive is returning on Saturday, December 11th with most of the traditional neighbourhood drive throughs, along with drop off stations set up at local fire halls.
All non-perishable food items and cash donations go to the Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank, which has been experiencing growing demand from community members.
“We've definitely seen an increase in food bank use over the past year. We see a lot of the working poor. Mom and Dad are working, paying their bills, but there’s not enough leftover to pay for food,” said Bev Elder, Executive Director of the Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank. “We need school snacks, cereal, and of course cash donations. We can turn every dollar donated into $3 worth of food.”
In 2020, the neighbourhood drive throughs were not possible due to COVID-19. While pandemic precautions are still in place firefighters are eager to reconnect with people of all ages where they live.
“We really enjoy collecting donations for the food bank. Kids get so excited by the trucks and learn about the importance of helping others in their community. Even when we have to adapt for the pandemic, it means a lot to keep this important tradition going,” said Lieutenant Rick Toogood of Sidney Fire Rescue.
Below are the donation opportunities:
- Neighbourhood Drive Through the West Side of Sidney: Dec 11th, 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Drop offs can be made at the Sidney Community Safety Building until December 10th from 8:30A.M. - 4:30P.M., Monday to Friday.
- Contact-free drive through in back parking lot on December 11th from 1:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Neighbourhood Drive Through: December 11th, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Drop offs can be made at the Central Saanich Fire Station #1 and Central Saanich Municipal Hall: Dec. 6th – Dec. 10th from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Neighbourhood Drive Through Dean Park, Canora Mews, and Eaglehurst area: Dec. 11th, 1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Drop offs can be made at the North Saanich Wain Road Fire Hall: Until Dec 10th, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday
To participate in the neighbourhood drive throughs on December 11th, leave a paper bag of donated items on your door step and firefighters will collect it. To find a list of the items most in need, check out ‘12 Days of Christmas Giving’ on the Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank website.
Note: It is important to check that any donated goods will not expire within the next 6 months.