Nominations for the Jeanette Hughes Accessibility Award can be an individual, business or organization in the Town of Sidney. The nominee should meet some or all of the following criteria:
Initiatives should address the needs of one or more of the following groups:
Mobility Impairments Visual Impairments
Hearing Impairments Cognitive Impairments
The nominee should demonstrate or support principles of Inclusiveness and Accessibility in regards to:
- Physical Access: This can mean improvements to, or someone who has advocated for improvements to, make a building wheelchair accessible by widening aisles, doors and hallways. Accessible seating and eating areas include tables and chairs that can be moved out of the way of a wheelchair or stroller. Accessible parking spaces close to the front entrance. Automatic doors. Wheelchair accessible washrooms. Curb cuts and ramps for wheelchairs, scooters and strollers.
- Access to Services: Staff or individuals have been provided with training on how to serve persons with disabilities. Access to the Internet for people with disabilities or access to recreation.
- Social Inclusion: Initiatives that remove barriers that prevent full participation in community life.
- Equality and Respect: Initiatives that promote and support equitable treatment for all.
- Equity in Opportunities: Initiatives that provide meaningful volunteer or employment opportunities for people with disabilities.
For more information please contact Glenys Cavers at Beacon Community Services at:
Ph: 250-656-5537 or E: email@example.com.