Volunteering in your Community
Latest Volunteering Opportunities
- Safe Seniors, Strong Communities
Operated by bc211 and the United Way, the Safe Seniors, Strong Communities program matches seniors who need support with non-medical essentials (such as help picking up groceries and prescriptions), to volunteers in their community who are willing to help. To sign up to help, call 2-1-1 or register online at http://www.bc211.ca/
- Mount Newton Centre Society
The Mount Newton Centre Society (MNC) is looking for individual(s) who hold the Saanich Peninsula community at heart and who are interested in serving on a Board of Directors that operates Adult Day Programs and a Loan Cupboard with an inventory of medical mobility aids & equipment. For more information:
- visit their website: www.mountnewtoncentre.org;
- call Bridget Shumka at the Centre: 250-652-3432; or
- call Board President, Steve Butler: 250-812-9900 .
- Build neighbourhood connections with "Meet Your Street"
The Town is looking for residents who are interested in starting their own neighbourhood group to help their neighbours get to know one another. For more information on the program, visit the Meet Your Street page. For tips, tricks, or project ideas and to register as your neighbourhood leader, contact Donna Barner at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-656-2121.
For more information about ways to help during COVID-19, please refer to our COVID-19 Response - Ways to Help page
Volunteering in the Community
There are many organizations and agencies in the Town of Sidney that depend on volunteer assistance. If you have time to spare and are willing and able to give back to your community, we encourage you to do so. Below are just some of the organizations and agencies in Sidney that need volunteer assistance:
- Alzheimer Society of B.C.
- ArtsSea Community Arts Council
- BC Aviation Museum
- Beacon Community Services
- Canadian Blood Services
- Citizens on Patrol (contact Jim at 250-655-9224 for more information)
- Community Volunteer Income Tax Program
- Mary Winspear Centre
- Maritime Museum of BC - All Things Marine Thrift Store
- Peninsula Celebrations Society
- Peninsula Emergency Measures Organization (PEMO)
- Peninsula Streams Society
- Saanich Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
- Shaw Centre for the Salish Sea
- SHOAL Centre
- Sidney Classical Orchestra
- Sidney Community Association
- Sidney Fine Art Show
- Sidney Lions Food Bank
- Sidney Museum and Archives
- Sidney/North Saanich RCMP Detachment
- Sidney Visitor Centre
- Sidney Volunteer Fire Department
- Vancouver Island Regional Library
- Volunteer Saanich Peninsula
Volunteering with the Town of Sidney
The Town depends on citizen volunteers to serve on Committees, Commissions and Boards. Time commitments vary but typically volunteers are required to attend meetings once or twice a month. Watch for vacancy notices in the fall in the Peninsula News Review and on our website.