Building Permits & Inspections
Town Building Officials will only accept complete Building Permit applications.
The Town’s Building Officials are responsible for reviewing and approving plans for the issuance of Building and Plumbing Permits. Once a permit is issued, staff will perform predetermined inspections as outlined in the Building Regulations Bylaw, to ensure compliance with the BC Building Code and with Sidney's Zoning Bylaw.
Building Officials work with the development community and the public to ensure code compliance for all development within the Town of Sidney. Building Officials also provide technical support to Planning staff and the Engineering Department.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, public access to all Town of Sidney municipal buildings has been restricted until further notice. In order to further ensure the safety of the public and staff, some Town processes have been temporarily amended. These include the submission and intake of building permit applications, the pick-up of building permits and how inspections are conducted. These processes are outlined in the Application and Inspection during the COVID-19 Pandemic Guide.
Town staff are committed to ensuring that the permitting process is streamlined and timely.
- A Homeowner's Guide to Building Permits
- Guide to Building Permits for Multi-Family, Commercial, Industrial and Institutional Construction
- Guide to Accessory Buildings
- Guide to Residential Deck Construction
- Guide to Fences
- Commonly Requested Fees
- Secondary Suite Information
- Construction Public Safety
- Residential Permit Application
- Multi-Family, Commercial, Industrial, and Institutional Permit Application
- Demolition Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
- Building and Plumbing Permit Renewal Application
- Solid Fuel Appliance Application and Installers Declaration
- Owners Authorization Form
- Appointment of Agent
- Electronic Funds Transfer (ETF) Form
Property Information Requests
- Property Information Search Portal
- General Request for Property Information Form
- Building Plan Copying Request Form
- When is a Building Permit required?
- When is a Plumbing Permit required?
- What are the requirements for a secondary suite?