If heating systems have not been properly serviced, malfunction may occur with inconvenient or disastrous results.
- Have your oil burner checked by a qualified service technician and have the smoke pipe cleaned.
- Ensure that your chimneys and fireplaces are clean and the creosote removed to prevent a chimney fire.
- Don’t let dust accumulate on baseboard electric heater elements.
- When you go to sleep, your nose does too. Don’t count on smelling smoke in the house, so that you will awaken and get out. It just doesn’t happen that way.
- Remember: When using any fuel-fired appliance, always make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector installed in the sleeping areas!
Please note the Sidney Fire Department does not inspect wood stoves. Please check the local yellow pages for WETT certified inspectors. For further information on heating equipment please contact the Fire Department.