Sidney, North Saanich, and Victoria Airport Authority have formed a partnership to build a roundabout at the intersection of Galaran Road and Beacon Avenue West. Stirling Avenue will also be realigned to connect to the roundabout. The graphic below depicts how roads and active transportation pathways will be aligned.
The infrastructure improvement will increase public safety, reduce congestion, and support economic development in the area. the roundabout is expected to be completed in late 2023.
- *NEW* October 18, 2023 – Speed limits have been lowered to 30 km/h in the construction zone to protect worker safety. Please drive slowly, play close attention, and give workers space when travelling through this area.
- October 12, 2023 – A portion of the Flight Path will be closed from October 18th until mid-November near the future roundabout site and Stirling Way. It will not be possible to complete the path as a loop during this time.
- July 13, 2023 – Construction vehicles are actively crossing the Flight Path (multi-use pathway) at two locations for roundabout construction and the Victoria Airport Authority’s parking lot expansion project. Pathway users are advised to use caution in the areas marked below.
- July 4, 2023 – Construction is ongoing with earthwork excavation working through the southside of Beacon Avenue. A water truck is onsite to reduce dust and minimize impact on neighbouring properties as much as possible.
- June 21, 2023 – Seven trees have been removed near the Beacon Avenue West and Galaran Road intersection to accommodate roundabout construction. The Town of Sidney will plant 14 trees in the vicinity as part of the roundabout project to ensure this part of Beacon Avenue West will be lined with trees in the future.
- June 16, 2023 – This summer, a section of the multi-use pathway known as the Flight Path will be impacted by roundabout construction. The path will remain open in this area but it will be rerouted on a temporary gravel surface. The alignment of the gravel path will change as needed. This section of the Flight Path will be repaved once it can be aligned with the final design below.
The need for a roundabout in this key traffic corridor was first identified approximately 20 years ago when a gas station was proposed for the corner of Beacon Avenue West and Pat Bay Highway.
Since then, concerns about traffic management have increased with significant growth occurring in this commercial and industrial area across Sidney, North Saanich, and Victoria Airport Authority lands. These projects include the Sobeys Retail Support Centre, Western Canada Marine Response Corporation (WCMRC) Response Base, Slegg Building Materials, Scotty Manufacturing Ltd., Titan Boats, and Canadian Tire, among others. The area continues to grow with the construction of the Amazon distribution warehouse.
Further development is expected into the future as there are several undeveloped parcels of land in this area on Sidney, North Saanich, and Victoria Airport Authority lands.
In 2021, the Town of Sidney, Victoria Airport Authority, District of North Saanich, and Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure commissioned a traffic study by WATT Consulting Group to study existing and future traffic demands in the Beacon West area and develop concept plans for improvements. The development of a roundabout at Beacon Avenue West and Galaran Road was identified as a short-term recommendation in the study.
The total project budget for the roundabout project is $7.6 million, including the realignment of Stirling Way. The majority of costs associated with building the roundabout will be offset by a $5 million grant from the Federal Government’s Strategic Priorities Fund of the Canada Community-Building Fund. Learn more about the grant here.
Recognizing that all three jurisdictions contribute to commercial and residential traffic at the intersection of Galaran Road and Beacon Avenue West, the Town of Sidney, Victoria Airport Authority, and District of North Saanich developed a Cost-Sharing Agreement for the project. As a result of the grant, the maximum net cost of the project will be no more than $1,040,000 each for the Town of Sidney and Victoria Airport Authority, and $520,000 for the District of North Saanich.
The project is being managed by the Victoria Airport Authority. A Concept Design for the roundabout is available here.
Following a competitive process, C-1 Excavating Ltd was selected to undertake construction of the roundabout project.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact the Town of Sidney at email@example.com.