The Town of Sidney aims to balance the provision of high quality services with affordable taxes for residents and businesses. Since the needs and wants within the municipality are often greater than what the municipality and community can afford at one time, choices must be made.
Current and previous financial plans can be found below. The plans are developed on an annual basis and look ahead to the next five years, as required by the Community Charter.
2024 Budget Process now underway
The Draft 2024-2028 Financial Plan was introduced to Council and the public at the February 5th Committee meeting. Council’s first review of the budget occurred on February 20th.
The draft financial plan started out with a proposed general tax increase of 8.42%. This amount included several internal and external requests that had not yet been approved by Council, and was simply a starting point for budget deliberations.
During their first review of the budget, Council tentatively reduced the tax increase to under 6% by rejecting several initiatives and funding certain others from internal reserves and surplus. These preliminary decisions will be considered at final budget deliberations on March 5th.
Draft Budget Materials
- 2024 – 2028 Draft Financial Plan
- Slideshow Presentation of 2024-2028 Draft Financial Plan (For clarity, it is best to view items 1 & 2 together)
- Overview of 2024 – 2028 Capital Projects
- VIDEO: Budget Introduction at February 5 Committee of the Whole Meeting (length 90 minutes)
- Staff Report: Additional Budget Notes from February 20th Council Meeting
- Video: Budget Deliberation at February 5 Council Meeting (Begins at 26:00)
The Town of Sidney is holding meetings in February and March to consider the Town’s 2024-2028 Financial Plan.
The meeting dates are:
- Monday, February 5th – Budget Introduction (completed)
- Tuesday, February 20th – Initial Budget Consideration
- Tuesday, March 5th – Budget Deliberations
The meetings will be held at 6pm at Sidney Council Chambers. Council meetings are also live streamed.
The Town of Sidney welcomes your feedback on the draft 2024 Budget. Members of the public are invited to:
- Speak at the February 20th or March 5th Council meeting in person or via Zoom. Register to speak via Zoom by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org no later than noon on the day of the meeting.
- Send written comments to email@example.com.
Questions? Call the Finance Department at 250-656-1184.
TThe 2023 general tax increase was 4.57%. The impact of this tax increase to the average residence was about $79 for the year, or $6.58 per month.