The Town provides access to property information while ensuring the privacy of property owners.
Release of records are subject to:
- BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- BC Strata Property Act
- Canadian Copyright Act
There is no guarantee that the Town will have the specific records on file for all properties, and the Town does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of information provided.
Property owners (and their authorized agents/realtors) looking for information about their own property can fill out the Town’s General Request for Property Information Form and submit it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are not the registered owner of a property, please ensure you complete the bottom half of the back of the General Request for Property Information form authorizing access to municipal records. Alternatively, we can also accept the following as owner authorization:
- A copy of the standard MLS listing agreement;
- An executed copy of the Contract for Purchase and Sale; or
- Any form you may already have/use that grants you access to Municipal records provided it includes the property address, the registered owner’s name, the registered owner’s signature, and the name of the person or organization granted access.
For more information on requesting information about a property that you do not own, refer to the Request for Access to Information process outlined on the Access to Information webpage.
If you are interested in obtaining a copy of the building plans for your home, the Town of Sidney has building plans on file for most properties, but not all. Please complete and submit the Building Plan Copying Request Form by email to email@example.com. Once received, Town staff will send the plans to Island Blue Print for copying. Copying charges are outlined on the bottom of the request form and all fees are payable to Island Blue Print, not the Town of Sidney. Island Blue Print will contact you for payment prior to starting the job, and you will pick up the plans directly from Island Blue Print. You are also welcome to come in and look at the plans at Town Hall before they are sent for copying. Please call 250-656-1725 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange to view plans.
Town staff process property information requests as soon as possible, and in the order that they are received.
- To determine whether a property is located within a Development Permit Area (including an Environmentally Sensitive Development Permit Area), view the Land Use Map and Environmentally Sensitive Areas Map in the OCP or contact email@example.com
- For zoning and development enquiries, view the Zoning Map or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- General property information, including building permits issued from the year 2000 onward, can be searched by address, folio, or PID, and viewed on our Property Information Search Portal
- Building permits (including building, plumbing, and demolition permits) issued from the year 2000 onward can be searched by date range and viewed on our Building Permit Property Information Portal
- Information regarding active development applications and recently approved applications can be found on our Active Development Applications webpage.
- For ownership information, see BC Land Title & Survey Authority or ParcelMap BC
- For general information, such as age of home, see BC Assessment
- To find out information related to archaeological sites, see the BC Archaeological Branch
- Please contact our Fire Department to find out about permit requirements for replacing a heating oil tank. You can find out about your responsibilities and more regarding heating oil tanks from the Capital Regional District’s Homeowner’s Guide to Home Heating Oil Tanks
- For information on Provincial licences, permits, registrations, and other authorizations that may be applicable to a property, see FrontCounter BC