Every home should have an escape plan in the event of a fire.
Follow these important steps on how to create your Home Fire Escape Plan
- Draw a map of your home. Show all doors and windows.
- Visit each room. Find two ways out.
- All windows and doors should open easily. You should be able to use them to get outside.
- Make sure your home has smoke alarms. Push the test button to make sure each alarm is working.
- Pick a meeting place outside. It should be in front of your home. Everyone will meet at the meeting place.
- Make sure your house or building number can be seen from the street.
- Talk about your plan with everyone in your home.
- Dial 911 in the event of an emergency.
- Practice your home fire escape drill at least twice a year.